This article explains the basic difference between Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 and Windows RT.
With new Windows 8, Microsoft launched the all new Internet Explorer 10. Better than before, in terms of both, performance and user interface, Internet Explorer is working well on Windows Operating System. Also, Microsoft introduced Internet explorer on Mobile operating system recently. Recently on official blog, Microsoft pointed the major difference between the IE on Windows OS and Mobile OS.
Recently on official blog, Microsoft pointed the major difference between the IE on Windows OS and Mobile OS. The lead program manager at Microsoft said that though Internet explorer on both platform has similar features, but on Windows mobile operating system, IE works differently.
Internet Explorer for Windows Phone operating system excludes support for inline videos. Also, it has been put away from VBscript or Activex support. There is no multi-track HTML5 Audio support, neither use of files access APIs. Drag and drop APIs and ‘open and a new tab’ options are also missing.But also, dragging and dropping on a Phone doesn’t make any sense to me. On the other end, all these features are available in Internet explorer 10 for Windows 8 for PC.
Also, Internet Explorer on Windows phone does not include Window object to load a new window. This is because each Window has its own sandbox in which it is opened.
Internet Explorer 10 has been improved on many factors. Lets have a look what more IE10 on Windows Phone has to offer in comparison to Windows PC :
- Positioned floats.
- Multiple columns.
- Device adaptation.
- CSS Regions.
- Flexible box.
- Grid layout.
- 3D Transform.
- Custom Fonts.
- Shadow for text and boxes.
- ‘HTML5 Application Cache’ keep your website files available offline.
- ‘Indexeddb’ is like a dictionary that support AppCache to give full website feel when you are offline.
- ‘Web Workers’ Allow Multi-threading.
- ‘Web Sockets’ help communicating with low latency to the host server.
- ‘Multi touch’ and Gesture support’.
What IE 10 does not support on Windows Phone
- Inline Video
- Manipulation View APIs.
- Multitrack HTML5 Audio Support.
- Drag and Drop options.
- Pinning Of Apps.
Other Articles on Windows
- Best Windows RT apps
- Top reasons to upgrade to Windows 8
- Windows 8 security issues
- How to import photos to Windows phone to PC