Social media has spread its wings relatively fast. Facebook is probably the topmost player in the Social media segment. However, these days, Facebook is resorting to techniques to keep its platform secure. Facebook Jail is one such idea.
But, people who were subjected to it are unable to understand its significance. Unfortunately for sellers getting the Facebook jail message can be a bad omen. Getting your account limited is something that no one would want.
Read on with us if you are also unaware of Facebook Jail and what it means.
What is Facebook Jail?
First and foremost, we would explain to you what the concept of Facebook Jail is. It is the term used when Facebook suspends your account. This suspension could be because of many reasons. But mostly, you are suspended when you do not adhere to the Facebook community standards. It is possible that it was an unknown error on your part.
But, Facebook authorities consider spammy logins, suspicious behavior, and violations and bar you from using your account for some time. This duration is usually fixed and may last from a few hours to 21 days.
Facebook received a lot of flak during the 2016 elections. People accused them of not monitoring the content posted during that time. Otherwise, also Facebook is supposed to keep unlawful members under check. The practice of blocking such miscreants was implemented as a result.
These days even a tiny mistake can prove dangerous. If you have violated any of the guidelines, you will have to face the music.
How do you know you have landed in Facebook jail?
The idea of landing in Facebook Jail is terrible enough. But, how will you get to know that Facebook has penalized you? Facebook never alerts the users that something like that has happened. Most people only get to know when they try to post something on their wall. In return, they get the message: “You can’t post right now.”
Even if Facebook sends you an email notifying you that you are in Facebook jail, you cannot do anything about it. They have already taken the decision, and you can only wait. If you are wondering how do you get in Facebook jail, here are the signs:
- You have lost your ability to post anything on your account wall
- You cannot like posts and pictures of other friends
- You are unable to post a comment anywhere on the platform
- You are blocked and cannot open your account
If Facebook has banned you from posting anywhere, it means you cannot post on any pages where you are the admin. This could be a problem in case you are handling social media accounts. Also, if you are a seller running a business, Facebook Jail could be dangerous for business.
Reasons for why a person is thrown in Facebook Jail
Maybe you still don’t know how you get in Facebook jail. Many people are unaware that they are in Jail until they receive the message. It is rather unfortunate that you may land there for something you posted unintentionally. Here we will mention why some people are blocked:
- Posting information quickly: Maybe you are posting quite frequently. There is no lead on what Facebook rules are on posting. But if you are repeatedly doing Facebook jail posting in groups, within a gap of minutes, you could be flagged. Also, if you are posting the same information, then the authorities may not be that kind. It is always better to follow a consistent posting schedule. That way, you manage to publish data without being scrutinized.
- Sending many friend requests: You have just joined the platform. Now you are sending requests to all your friends in quick succession. This could put you in trouble. The situation worsens if you send too many requests to strangers. This kind of behavior is another red signal. Also, if you have joined too many Facebook groups in a day, they might put you in Facebook Jail.
- Too much use of tags: Do you keep tagging your friends in all photos and posts? If yes, it is time to stop this habit immediately. Use tags only when it is essential.
- Posting inappropriate material: Facebook is very strict about posting nude or sexually explicit content. It violates their community rules. If you have erred on this one, you might land in Facebook Jail. Just monitor what you are posting. Even posting content that makes fun of a community or gender could be trouble. Apart from that, you must also avoid hate speech, content on self-harming or bullying, etc.
- Use of spam images or videos- Facebook marks specific photos and videos as spam. You may use them frequently in your posts. The platform will not take it in good stride. They would quickly put you in Facebook Jail as a punishment.
- Using multiple accounts-Maybe, you are logging into the platform through numerous accounts. While you may think this is harmless, Facebook is not so open. You must use only one account per device. If you want to open another account, use a different device. But if you have no option, you could try using the VPN. With the VPN, you can open two Facebook accounts without being caught. Remember, if they catch you, the punishment will be severe,
- Automated software use- Facebook is not very lenient with those who use automated software. If you are using this software to like posts and comments s, they could quickly put you in Facebook Jail. You must therefore keep a check on the speed at which you post content. Facebook is swift to notice any such errors on your part.
- Spammy behavior- Are you spamming people in the name of business promotion? Stop doing that immediately. Facebook is stringent in that regard. Avoid contacting people through messaging and don’t post unwanted requests. Don’t add spammy links or send bulk emails in the hope of getting reverts. There are better ways to market your product than spamming. Apart from this, posting too many images or content on someone’s timeline is also a no-no. Be careful of what you post and where, as Facebook checks each post severely.
- Using a fake account- This is not all. Facebook takes quick notice of a fake account. If someone raises the issue that you are impersonating someone, then Facebook is sure to put you in jail. In fact, for them, this is quite a huge mistake, and they might block you permanently.
- Fraud in payments- Maybe you purchased something from the Facebook marketplace. If you use a fraudulent card to make the payment, it will get reversed. As a result, the buyer takes you up for the same. Once that happens, Facebook will not hesitate to put you in Facebook jail. Suspicious payments are always under the scanner, and you must not mess up on that one.
Duration of Facebook Jail
Next, we will tell you about how long this Facebook jail may last. There are two types of Facebook blocking.
- Temporary blocking- This is when Facebook blocks you for a limited time. The duration, in this case, could range from a few hours to 30 days. When this time limit is over, they uplift the account suspension. You can now use your Facebook account like before.
- Permanent blocking-This happens when they delete your account permanently. You cannot access the account anymore. If you are a business owner, this could be a significant setback.
The blocks may be divided into three types:
- Lowest Tier- This probably would last a maximum of 24 hours. You can appeal in between to reinstate the ban. Facebook here sets a notification on when they will lift your ban.
- Middle Tier- Here, Facebook will suspend a few features of the account. This could be limited to liking or commenting on posts. But, your content is not blocked, so that you may use other features.
- Highest Tier- This punishment is for the most severe offenders. Here they completely ban you from using Facebook. If this happens, there is no way you can get back the account.
Most of the people who are subjected to Facebook jail get punished for not following the rules. Also older you have been on Facebook, the lesser are your chances of being penalized. In many cases, Facebook just closes the account. Therefore you must understand the criticality of the situation.
How you may get out of Facebook Jail?
Obviously, you would now want to know how to get out of Facebook Jail. Though you do not have many options, here are some ways in which you can reduce your time.
- Serve a sentence- This is probably the easiest thing you can do. Since Facebook already mentions the duration of your sentence, just let the same pass. Once the time is over, they will restore your benefits.
- File an appeal- If you cannot afford to wait, you may file an appeal. Facebook could send you the result of your request through email. It is possible that they will reject your plea, and you remain in Facebook Jail.
- Create a new account-If nothing works, and your account remains suspended, you can create a new account. Though this is not a workable solution for business owners, sometimes you are left with no other choice.
Remember that there will be people who would suggest tricks to get you out of the mess. You should avoid collaborating with them. Facebook knows how to figure out such wrongdoings. It is better to wait for the suspension period to be over or make a new account.
Tips and Tricks to avoid Fb Jail in the future
Maybe you were put into the Facebook jail once and were able to come out of it. You may not be that lucky next time. Better read all the Facebook terms and conditions so that you do not repeat the mistake. Apart from that, you can follow these simple tips to avoid the same situation:
- Leave a decent time interval between your posts
- Never post any inappropriate image or meme that may land you in trouble
- Always make sure to send less than 50 friend requests per day
- Be very careful when you are adding or tagging people
- Do not post any spam videos or images
- Join less than 10 FB groups per day
- Avoid using automated software
- No posting of similar content in multiple places
- Stay away from using Fake accounts
- Log in to one account per device
There are some other preventive measures you could undertake.
1. Keep your Facebook profile complete- An incomplete Facebook profile increases the chances of Facebook scrutinizing your posts. Facebook marks such profiles as incomplete. When you post on other groups with an incomplete profile, they consider your account as spam. Therefore keep your “About me” page updated and, if possible, the other areas as well.
2. Verification of the account by mobile- If you verify your account with your personal mobile number Facebook will believe that you are a reliable human. This reinforces the fact that you are not a spammer. Your chances of being put in Facebook Jail then reduce.
3. Keep an eye on the sabotagers- If you are a business, there might be people wanting to take you down. This includes formidable competitors who will report your post without any reason. Notice if any troll is attacking your posts and blocking them from your account. Before they damage your reputation take quick action to save yourself.
4. Create original content- As a business, you have to attract your customers. If you are posting copied attention regularly, you will draw attention. Ensure that the content you upload is valuable and original. Even if it means posting content less frequently than you want to. Also, if you are using any images that Facebook has marked as spam, you are considered a spammer too. This damages your reputation on Facebook severely.
5. Maintain personal ties with contacts- Facebook is a place to meet your friends. Try to maintain a cordial relationship with all your contacts. If you already know who you are adding, it increases your trustworthiness. Your Facebook conduct should be based on honesty. Facebook notices if your Friend requests go unaccepted. Also, do not add people to your groups until you have prior consent to them. You can send them group requests, but you should do that in moderation. Lastly, do not tag a person in an image until you are sure they are there. In case you want to mention someone, you could add the name in the comments.
6. Understand how Facebook operates- If you seriously wish to avoid the Facebook jail, understand the rules that Facebook applies. Firstly do not create a personal account with a business name. Your account should have only your name. However, you can add your business name to your personal information.
Or you could create a page with your business details. Secondly, one person can have only one Facebook account. So, if you are a business create multiple pages for your business. You could demarcate each page as per a separate service or product. This way you can get to reach maximum customers.
7. Do not act like a spammer- Certain actions lead to you being marked as a spam-bot. Understand what they are and avoid them at all costs. Facebook can limit your profile completely. Then you cannot comment or like on others’ profiles as well. So control the speed at which you are liking and commenting on the posts. One this helps in you not being considered as spam. Also, you can control the traffic information on Facebook. This gets out of control if all users keep posting extra information.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Q1. Is there any way to bypass the Facebook Jail?
Certain websites suggest ways to bypass Facebook blocking. These include registering your account as a minor. Facebook does not monitor minor accounts. But this is not right, and hence it is better if you open a new account.
Q2. Can we find out if someone else’s is in the Facebook Jail?
You cannot know if Facebook has put someone else in jail. Since your profile looks the same even after blocking, you can never know of the account status. You can still post on their timeline. However, they cannot reply back to you. If, however, their account is wholly terminated, then you cannot see the same.
Q3. How can we appeal against Facebook jail?
To appeal against the blocking of your account, go to Facebook and log in. Once you log in, you will receive a message that says, “Your account has been disabled.” Beneath it, you will see another link saying, “Submit an appeal.” Click on the same to open the appeal form. Now enter all the details in the form and press Send. You will receive a reply from Facebook soon.
There is no way to find how do you get put in Facebook jail. Only when you open the account you will receive the information. Thankfully there is a scope of re-appealing. Make sure you provide all the information and proofs that are required.
Facebook, though very strict with rules, does not penalize someone unnecessarily. If your case is valid, they will probably remove the blocking. If you are a seller, do not get carried away with product marketing. All may not appreciate your idea of promotion. Respect their privacy and send messages only within limits.