RAM that we use in our computer is not only costly but have other disadvantages too. Learn How to use pen drive as RAM in the given article.
RAM, the Random Access Memory of the computer is what plays a vital role in smooth functioning of your system. The speed of your computer is also considerably depending on the RAM of your computer.
You would be wondering what a RAM is! The RAM is a type of memory that stores the temporary data which is processed by the CPU. When the computer is shut down, the data which is saved is lost. When the RAM is lower in the computer, the speed of the computer is brought down to a greater extent. When the computer works, slow any user who uses, it will be finding it irksome.
There are two ways to add to your RAM. The first option is adding more RAM to the system, and this is expensive. A cheaper option is using a USB drive as RAM. This is not as efficient as the former option, but less expensive. You can enhance the performance of your computer with this option. The devices that can be used are Pen drive, SD card, hard drive, and any portable flash storage device.
There are large numbers of applications which consume considerable memory space during their execution. This becomes the nightmare for users with low RAM and system resources. Today, we show you an unconventional way of increasing system RAM by using a very basic tool. The “pen drive”!
Begin with inserting the pen drive into your system’s USB port. If you have autoplay enabled you can choose from the options to either browse to view files already stuffed in it. Alternatively, you will be able to view it through-start->computer->Devices with removable storage. Ensure that the pen drive which you are using should be of at least 1GB.
- You should also ensure that your pen drive is formatted before using it as a temporary RAM.
- Access the properties page of My Computer. You could also reach there by using shortcut sysdm.cpl on run open window.
- Over there click on the advanced properties Tab and then on the performance tab. As you need to change the size of the virtual memory, you will have to click on the advanced button followed by virtual memory.
- Once on performance option- a window will open where you would find three tabs namely-Visual Effects, Advanced and Data execution prevention.
- Here you will have to select the advanced tab- and then click on the change option radio button. When you click on the change option you will find another window open-and labeled as Virtual Memory. This window contains paging file size information for every device. Here you will have to select the drive for which you need to set the paging size. For instance, based on the drive letter you would have to choose your removable storage. Once selected the data would be displayed below with the Drive alongside its size.Then there are other options as well which are mentioned as custom size-which is already disabled and you can make any changes over there.
- There is a radio button which depicts the No paging file option-here you will be clicking on it and selecting it.
- When you are done with it –the area will depict the size of the drive. Where you will find the Maximum allowed size of the drive-Recommended as-4491 MB and currently allocated as 2994 MB (this is for example only)
- As you need to customize the size of the drive, you will have to click on the radio button .Once clicked; you will be able to see two blank text boxes. One is the Initial size- (mention the size which you need to change as 1020) and another option is Maximum size in MBs. But the size depends on the space which is free on the device. So the size needs to be changed based on the size capacity of your device’s free space available. Do your calculations before changing values in the virtual memory.
- After you have entered the values in both initial and maximum click on the button set. When you click on the button set-it will reflect the size set by you and the system might trigger or notify you for a restart. Proceed with the restart with the pen drive already connected in your system.
- One point which needs to be taken care in this process is – removing the USB drive can crash your system. Also you need to ensure that you are logged on using an account with elevated access or administrative rights.
- How to Hide ip Address on Android Phone
- How to Format C Drive Using Notepad
- How to get your beauty blog sponsored?