Mouse acceleration is a feature that changes the speed of the cursor on the screen based on the speed at which the mouse is moved. This feature can be helpful for some users as it allows for more precise control of the cursor at slow speeds and quick cursor movements at high speeds. However, for many users, especially gamers, mouse acceleration can be problematic as it can lead to inconsistent cursor movements and a lack of precision. Therefore, in this article, we will discuss how to turn off mouse acceleration in various operating systems and gaming platforms.
Table of Contents
Why Turn Off Mouse Acceleration?
Before discussing how to turn off mouse acceleration, let’s first understand why someone might want to turn off this feature.
- Consistent Movements: Mouse acceleration can lead to inconsistent cursor movements. For example, if you move your mouse from point A to point B at a slow speed, the cursor might move a certain distance on the screen. But if you move your mouse the same distance at a faster speed, the cursor might move a much greater distance. This inconsistency can make it difficult to develop muscle memory for precise cursor movements.
- Precision: Precision is very important in activities such as gaming and graphic design. Mouse acceleration can make it difficult to achieve precise cursor movements as the cursor speed is constantly changing based on the speed at which the mouse is moved.
- Preference: Some users simply prefer the feel of having mouse acceleration turned off. It gives them more control over the cursor movements and makes the mouse feel more responsive.
As you can see, there are several good reasons to turn off mouse acceleration. Now, let’s move on to the steps on how to turn off mouse acceleration.
How to Turn Off Mouse Acceleration in Windows
Here are the steps on how to turn off mouse acceleration in Windows:
- Open Control Panel: Click on the ‘Start’ button and then click on ‘Control Panel’.
- Access Mouse Settings: In the ‘Control Panel’, click on ‘Hardware and Sound’ and then click on ‘Mouse’. This will open the ‘Mouse Properties’ dialog box.
- Turn Off Mouse Acceleration: In the ‘Mouse Properties’ dialog box, click on the ‘Pointer Options’ tab. Uncheck the box next to ‘Enhance pointer precision’. This will turn off mouse acceleration.
- Apply the Changes: Click on ‘Apply’ and then click on ‘OK’ to save the changes.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed the steps on how to turn off mouse acceleration in Windows.
How to Turn Off Mouse Acceleration in macOS
Here are the steps on how to turn off mouse acceleration in macOS:
- Open Terminal: Go to ‘Applications’ -> ‘Utilities’ and open ‘Terminal’.
- Enter Command: In the ‘Terminal’ window, enter the following command: