No one enjoys being interrupted by an error code, especially when working or gaming on a computer. However, being equipped with the correct knowledge can turn these interruptions into minor speed bumps. In this blog post, we will focus on one such issue – how to fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22. We’ll walk you through what it means, what causes it, and step-by-step instructions on how to fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22.
Table of Contents
What does Graphics Device Error Code 22 Mean, and What Causes It?
Before we get into how to fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22, it’s vital to understand what it means and what causes it. Error Code 22 is a Device Manager error that indicates the device is either disabled or has been halted due to incomplete or incorrect device drivers.
When it comes to a Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22, it means your computer’s graphics card has been stopped by the operating system due to issues with its drivers. This error is usually encountered after upgrading your OS or when installing a new graphics card.
The primary causes of Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 are:
- Corrupt or outdated device drivers: If your graphics card drivers are outdated or have been corrupted, your computer might fail to recognize and use the graphics card correctly.
- Hardware conflicts: Sometimes, if there are multiple devices trying to use the same resources, it could lead to Error Code 22.
- Incorrectly configured or installed hardware: If the graphics card is not correctly installed or configured, it may cause this error.
Now that we understand what Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 is and its causes let’s explore how to fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22.
How to Fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22
Fixing Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 involves a few simple steps. Here are a few solutions to help resolve this issue:
Solution 1: Update the Graphics Device Drivers
As outdated or corrupted drivers are one of the primary causes of this error, updating the drivers can resolve this issue.
- Press Windows + X and choose ‘Device Manager’ from the menu.
- Expand the ‘Display Adapters’ section. You’ll find your graphics card listed there.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Update Driver Software’.
- Choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. If an updated driver is available, your system will automatically download and install it.
Solution 2: Reinstall the Graphics Device Drivers
If updating the drivers does not resolve the issue, try reinstalling them.
- Open ‘Device Manager’ as mentioned in Solution 1.
- Right-click on your graphics card under ‘Display Adapters’ and choose ‘Uninstall’.
- After the drivers have been uninstalled, restart your PC.
- Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers upon restarting.
If these methods don’t work, you can manually enable the graphics device driver through the device manager, as described in the next section.
How to Enable the Graphics Device Driver Manually Through the Device Manager
Sometimes, the Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 occurs because the device has been disabled. You can manually enable it through the Device Manager by following these steps:
- Open the ‘Device Manager’ as explained in the previous section.
- Navigate to ‘Display Adapters’ and expand it.
- Right-click on your graphics card and select ‘Enable Device’.
After enabling the device, check if the Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 still persists.
In conclusion, encountering a Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 might be a bit frustrating, but knowing how to fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22 can quickly transform this hurdle into a minor inconvenience. Whether the issue lies with the driver or the device, understanding the error and its causes are crucial steps towards finding the solution. Always remember, with the right knowledge at your disposal, there is no technical issue that can’t be overcome.