Here are the steps which you can follow to how to get Windows Media Center for free.
Microsoft’s Windows Media Center is a media player and digital video recorder that turns your PC into a Multimedia Entertainment Center. It allows a user to organise and play music online. Besides this, you can also view and record live television which can be done manually by the user or schedule recording using electronic program guide.
Windows Media Center helps managing slideshows, videos, pictures and music over the local computer as well as over the networked ones. FM Radio feature can also be added to the Windows Media Center if your TV tuner supports it.
It can also stream movies and television program through the Internet and here’s what amazes any user is the feature which helps you to pause the live tv so that you don’t miss your favourite shows.Users can also synchronize it with certain portable devices such as Windows Mobile Pocket PC, Smartphones, Portable Media Centers, and other players that can be sync with Windows Media Player.It’s a small package with a real big amazing features.
Media Center is available in previous version of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 for free but we cannot see any presence of Window Media Centre in Windows8. So is this where it ends ? Well No, Microsoft is allowing the users with Windows 8 Pro to download it for free till 31 Jan 2013.
After the quoted date, they will charge a little fee from every user who is willing to use it. Microsoft has yet to announce pricing. Though it is not a good move by Microsoft for adding a price tag to the application which was free in the earlier version of Windows. This surely is a disappointing news for the users who are looking forward to it.
Anyhow, here’s how to get it:-
- Move the cursor to the upper right corner to get the sidebar and then click on Search.
- Click on the Settings and then type ‘Add Features’ in the search box.
- Click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:
If you need to purchase a product key, click on ‘I want to buy a product key online’.You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there and it will be entered for you.
Click ‘I already have a product key’ in case you already own a product key.
- Enter your product key and click NEXT.
- Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features. If you were running Windows 8 pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.
To take advantage of the free version, you need to have a free product key. Here is how to get it:
- Go to the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
- Enter your Email address.
- Type the correct word shown in the figure.
- Click on Send my product key and it will be mailed to the specified email address within 24 hours.