Have you ever ended up deleting a message on Instagram only to regret it later? Is there something you can do to change it? Turns out, there is! You can make use of Instagram message recovery tools to get back your precious DM’s.
So, in this article, we’ll be looking at the different methods through which you can recover your messages.
Instagram message recovery methods you can try out
We have handpicked some tried and tested methods for you to recover deleted Instagram messages.
Recovering deleted messages using Instagram Data
The first way in which you can retrieve old or deleted DM’s is through Instagram Data. It’s a straightforward method that aims to recover your messages saved on Instagram’s servers. You can end up getting back not just texts, but also images and videos. Let’s see how we do it?
- Go to a web browser of choice on your laptop or personal computer
- Type in https://www.instagram.com/ and log on to your Instagram account
- Go to the top left corner of the web page where you’ll see an icon labeled “Profile”.
- Click on it and further choose the “Edit Profile” option
- You’ll see a pop-up menu start to appear. So, navigate to the “Privacy and Security” option and click on it
- Locate the “Data Download” option that should be at the bottom of the menu. Click on “Request Download” from here
- You’ll now need to type in your log-in details again to sign in to your Instagram account once more
- Type in your email address and Instagram will send you the link to the data file that contains the messages we’re after. Remember that you’ll need to re-enter your password to complete this process. Instagram may take up to 48 hours to process your request
- Now, log in to your Email account and you should be able to find the message from Instagram labeled “Your Instagram Data”. Click on “Download Data” and the file will get downloaded in the form of a zipped file. Remember, the link will expire in just four days, so act quickly
- All that’s left to do is unzip the file and open the folder labeled “messages.json”. 11) Open this file with a suitable text editor like Json Genie and voila, there are all the messages that you were desperately after.
Recover deleted Instagram messages using Facebook
Alternatively, you can also make use of Facebook to complete the process of recovering deleted Instagram messages. The only prerequisite for this is that your Instagram account is linked to your Facebook account. This is a great method for those individuals who’re in a hurry and cannot wait for 48 hours until Instagram sends the data recovery mail. Follow the steps given below to recover your Instagram messages via Facebook:
- Log in to your Facebook account and click on Inbox
- Here, you’ll see an Instagram direct symbol, tap on it and you should now be able to access your messages
We all understand that messaging is a two-way street. You’d be responding to something that that was sent to you, so the sender ideally has a record of what you replied back with. So, in some cases, you can just request the sender to take a screenshot of the messages that you might have ended up accidentally deleting. This is the easiest and the quickest method of the lot since we’re not making use of any online tools. But, this method only works if the sender has a record of what you sent and hasn’t deleted it yet.
Retrieving deleted messages by using Instagram message recovery apps
If the above-mentioned methods fail, you can always make use of third-party apps to retrieve deleted messages. There are a number of Instagram message recovery tools out there, but some of the popular ones include:
This is one of the most trusted Instagram message recovery tools which carries out its task without compromising your online privacy. DMpro is essentially a business tool that lets you micro-manage a number of Instagram accounts at the same time. Since your accounts are linked to your Email account, you can easily retrieve deleted messages from there.
So, how does one end up recovering deleted messages using DMpro? Follow the steps given below:
- Sign up on DMpro. It’s a completely free service, so you don’t have to worry about giving away your credit or debit card details
- Once you’ve signed up successfully, click on “Manage Account”
- Now, navigate to the option labeled “Direct Messages” and click on “DM to Email”
- You’ll need to confirm your Email address before completing the process
This step ensures that you receive a mail every time one of your followers drops in a message in your inbox. So, if you end up accidentally deleting a certain message or the data in the app gets corrupted following a fatal virus attack, or you get shadowbanned which resulted in the Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error then at times like these you can always have a backup folder where they get saved. The great thing about this functionality is that it’s more than just an Instagram message recovery tool. You can read and respond to your DM’s right from your Email account, either from your smartphone or PC. DMpro is available for download from both the Play Store and the App Store.
2) U.Fone iOS Toolkit
As the name suggests, this Instagram message recovery tool is only for Apple gadgets. Other than deleted Instagram messages, you can also end up retrieving photos, videos, Whatsapp messages, and essentially anything that you’d have saved on your iPhone. Follow the steps mentioned below to successfully recover deleted Instagram message:
- Open the application and tap on Instagram recovery mode
- Pick the data type from the list of files you’re shown
- Once you’ve done that, press on “Next” and scan the file type you’ve chosen
- Now, select the data you’d like to recover and tap on “Recover”. That should just about do it
This Instagram message recovery tool works on all Android devices. It’s an excellent tool to retrieve not just deleted messages, but also any type of data that you might have saved on your Android device. The platform is extremely user-friendly and you only need to go by these steps:
- Open the application and pick the Android data recovery option
- Pick the data file you’d like to recover and scan it first
- Preview the files you’ve chosen and Tap on “Recover”
Like the previous entrant on this list, this Instagram message recovery tool is exclusively for devices that run on iOS. It’s rather simple to retrieve your deleted messages using this app. The steps include:
- Open the app on your device
- Navigate to the Instagram Messages Recovery option and type in your username
- Press on the Recover button that appears on the screen. Your account that should have gotten automatically restored by now
5) Instagram Message Recovery Tool+ Site
This isn’t an application per se, but an online tool developed by a former Instagram employee. Follow the steps given below to recover the messages that you might have accidentally deleted:
- Sign in to your Instagram account using your login credentials
- Open a new tab and search for the Instagram Message Recovery tool
- Type in your username or copy and paste your profile URL. You might need to go through a CAPTCHA verification before access is granted
- Click on the “Recovery” button and you should now be able to access all your deleted messages
While these are some of the most popular Instagram Message Recovery tools, it’s recommended to use a multi-functional application. With the other apps, you run into the hassle of repeating the steps over and over every time you need to recover a deleted message. But, with an all-in-one tool, you can avoid having to go through this trouble since your Instagram account is linked to your email account. This is a great hack for small businesses or influencers who’ll need to manage more than one account simultaneously.
Deleting a message on Instagram and regretting it later is fairly common than you think. This is evident by the fact that there is a large number of Instagram message recovery tools that are starting to experience a surge in user count. So, to successfully retrieve your messages, you can either make use of Instagram data that emails you a file or use other third-party applications. These applications have an in-built tool that helps you recover your messages without having to wait up to 48 hours. But, a much simpler method would be to ask the sender to take a screenshot of your conversation and send it to provided that they haven’t deleted it as well.