Excessive heating of laptop may result into damage of some electronic equipments connected within it. Get tips on how to reduce laptop heat.
Though there are plenty of advancements in technology and the processing speeds of laptops have increased dramatically, still people face issues of overheating when using the laptop continuously for a long time. If you don’t take preventive actions to reduce laptop heat, then it might cause serious damage to the laptop hardware and it could not be fixed after that. Some of the reasons why laptops get overheated are:
- Thermal compound between CPU and heat sink
- Dust which blocks the exhaust ports or clogged ventilation which prevents cool air from reaching the laptop.
- Continuously playing high resolution games or multi-tasking which consumes lots of CPU and processor power resulting in overheating.
- Using the laptop in open sunlight or placing it on heated location, such as near kitchen or lamp which generates heat.
- Not properly shutting down the laptop when not in use and letting it run continuously for longer duration.
Some of the best ways to reduce laptop heat are as below:
- Placing the laptop on hard flat surface like a computer table or floor can help with air circulation and minimize laptop heat. Generally laptops will have exhaust ports on their sides and if you place them on uneven surfaces like a mattress or pillow, the air flow will be disturbed. If the air flow gets disturbed, then it won’t be cooled properly and result in heating after long usage. Hence, you should place your laptop on a flat surface in open space and should have any obstacles on the sides.
- Using a laptop cooler can help in reducing the heat and it’s really a good investment which can increase the lifetime of your laptop. These laptop coolers have huge fans which suck in air from the bottom and blow air towards laptop for the purpose of cooling. You should purchase the cooler based on your laptop model and design. There are some interesting cooling systems like Liquid Nitrogen (N2 cooling system) which can reduce the laptop heat tremendously.
- Another important method to reduce laptop heat is by cleaning the exhaust ports and fans in your laptop. If there is dust or any obstacle blocking the exhaust ports or ventilation of the laptop, then there is a possibility of overheating. You should have a practice of cleaning them on a monthly basis. In order to clean the laptop, remove the battery and open the laptop back. Now take some cotton dipped in alcohol and carefully clean the fan and exhaust ports. You can also vacuum cleaner for cleaning the dust inside the fan. This can help in reducing the laptop by increasing the air circulation.
- Another step in reducing laptop heat is by closing all unwanted programs in your computer. Avoid playing high resolution games or high memory applications which consume lots of processing power and lead to overheating. You can go to Run -> MsConfig and close all the applications which you don’t want to run during startup. This can reduce the processor load and prevent laptop from overheating. Also, shut down your laptop properly whenever it’s not in use. Keeping it running for long hours without shutting down can result in heating.
- Place your laptop in cool area whenever you are using it, possibility in an Air-conditioned room where there is optimum temperature and air circulation. In this way, you can avoid the laptop from getting overheated.
By following above simple steps, you can reduce the laptop heat and make sure it has great lifetime.