In this article we will tell you how to create a Wi-Fi Hotspot in Windows 8. Here are the complete details:
A Wi-Fi Hotspot is a wireless access point that provides internet connectivity in public areas such as hotels, shopping malls, airports so on. Many companies are increasingly using Wi-Fi Hotspots to maximize their business activities.
With the help of virtual router we can easily transform our laptop or PC into a wireless hotspot. Then your machine would work as a Wi-Fi router san any software and other connected devices to use internet. This is a great option if we can be able to connect our laptop physically or pc to a network. Even we can also be able to connect with tablet or iPod.
Surprisingly, Windows 8 does not show the Wi-Fi setup which was very much present in its previous version i.e. Windows 7 under ad-hoc networks setup. Many users have grumbled about this missing feature but there is something for them to cheer. Microsoft did not actually remove the facility completely but somehow made it obscure.
Procedure to turn laptop or pc on to Wi-Fi Hotspot
- First of all open Control Panel of your PC or laptop.
- In the Control Panel, go to Network and Internet option.
- In the options available in the window, select Network Connections option.
- After selecting the above option, it will show all the available networks.
- It can directly be accessed by typing ‘ncpa.cpl’ in the run window by pressing windows button along with letter ‘R’.
- Now, select the wireless network from ‘Network & Sharing Center’ which we want to share.
- Select the properties from the pop up window after giving right click on the network.
- Open the “Sharing” and a check box pops up. Ensure that this box has the tick mark.
- Once you check the box it would allow others to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- Run Command prompt in Admin mode.
- Replace the user’s name with the desired user name and password with desired password.
- It will be as shown: netsh WLAN set hostednetwork mode= allow ssid=”[your username]” key=”[your password]”.
- After making the above setting, an output message will be displayed showing that informs you that hosted network mode is now allowed and SSID of hosted network is now changed successfully. Similarly user key pass phrase has been changed successfully.
- Broadcast the network to allow the users to access the network.
Broadcasting the network
- Now it is essential to broadcast the network to allow the other users to access the network.
- The network can be broadcast using the command, “netsh WLAN start hostednetwork”.
- After giving the command in the command prompt, an output message will be displayed showing that the hosted network has been started off.
That’s it. It’s all done. The network will be shared. The laptop will now work as Wi-Fi hot spot. The summary of the network can be viewed by using the command “netsh WLAN show hosted network”. It displays the total detailed summary of the hosted network.
- Best Windows 8 Tablet with Pen Input
- How to Run Java Apps on Windows Phone 8
- How to Connect Wireless Keyboard to Windows 8