Instagram usage is rather widespread these days. In fact, you will find most businesses, brands, and artists are operating their own Instagram pages. Not only that, they garner sincere followers on these pages too. However, there is more to Instagram than just what meets the eye.
People usually just restrict themselves to watching exciting content and sharing them. But if required, you can even block people on your Insta and hide your pictures if needed. Here we are going to share with you some essential tips that people use to operate their Instagram account.
How to block someone on Instagram
Instagram though a useful resource, can often be a place where people harass you unnecessarily. Usually, such people are known as ‘trolls,’ and they derive pleasure from creating trouble online. If a brand experiences the situation of dealing with one, he can always block that person. Use the below-mentioned tips to block a person on Instagram.
Step 1- Open the Instagram app on your Android/iOS device.
Step 2- Now click on the username of the person in question. This should take you to his/her profile.
Step 3- If you are using an iOS smartphone or computer, tap on the ‘three horizontal dots’ you see. For Android, click on the ‘three vertical dots.’ Mostly you will find these dots on the top right corner of your screen.
Step 4- For iOS/Android, you can now select ‘block/unblock’ to proceed with the blocking. On the other hand, if you are on a computer, you can click on ‘block/unblock this user.’
Step 5-Press on ‘block/unblock’ once again to confirm your choice. Your job is now done. Remember that the other person will not get to know that you have blocked him.
What happens when you block someone on Instagram?
Once you block someone on Instagram, it is obvious to get on to the next step. There is a curiosity to find what happens once you block someone from accessing your Instagram account. Read further to know more.
- When you block someone, that person is not notified that you have blocked him. However, if he tries to see your account or view the posts, he can no longer do so.
- Also, the likes and comments that a person posted will be removed from all the content shared on your account. Remember that even if you unblock that person’s account, later on, those likes and comments will not be retrieved.
- However, these people can still see your likes and comments on posts shared by accounts they also follow and are common for both of you.
- The person can no longer mention or tag you henceforth.
- If you block the person and then change your username as well, then the other person cannot mention or tag you unless he knows your new username.
- Your messaging threads with that person will remain in your Direct inbox. But now, you cannot message or contact that person through messaging.
- If both you and the blocked person are in the same group, you will be asked if you want to stay in a group or leave it. But if you stay in the group, you can see his messages but cannot respond to them.
- If, after blocking, the person tries to send you messages, you will not receive them.
How to know if someone has blocked you on Instagram
Sometimes people block their friends with no particular reason to do so. You might have no idea that your friend has blocked you. Here you can read ways in which you can find if someone blocked you.
- Open your Instagram app and then click on its ‘Search’ bar.
- Search for your friend’s username. If that person has not blocked you, his profile will be visible to you. However, if you are unable to see his profile move to the next step.
- Reach out to another common friend’s Instagram account.
- Scroll through their likes, comments to see if the account of the friend is visible.
- If you see the person’s profile click on that immediately.
- On clicking the profile, if you cannot see the content, it implies he has blocked your account. You must also see if he has many posts to display. If the answer is a yes and you are still unable to see these posts, chances are you are blocked.
How to hide posts on Instagram
Often you realize that some of the posts on your page are entirely redundant. However, you do not wish to delete the content as you might need it later on. You can hide your posts and read on to know the process involved.
Step 1- Open your Insta app and then go to the post that you want to hide.
Step 2- On the top right corner of your post, you will see three dots.
Step 3- There would be loads of options at the display. You should, however, just select the Archive button.
Step 4- If you want that post back, you have to open the Archive folder. Under your bio, you will see the “Open Archive” button and click on it.
Step 5- Select posts. Now go to the post you want back and again press on the three dots in the top right corner. Your Instagram post is restored to its original position in your feed.
How to hide chat on Instagram live
Initially started as an image and video sharing platform, you can now broadcast any event on Instagram using its Live feature. But, at times, you may not want people to comment on the same. Read on to know how you can hide chat on Instagram Live:
- After opening your account and logging into it, click the camera icon that you see in the screen’s upper left corner.
- At the bottom, you will see the various camera options, like normal, create, boomerang, and finally, Live. Ensure that the live feature is seen inside the circular capture button.
- Tap on the circular capture button and start the streaming.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see three vertical dots.
- Now tap on turn-off commenting, and you are done.
How to hide comments on Instagram live
Supposing you are a viewer of Instagram Live and do not want to see the chat option. Follow the steps to ensure that.
- Install the IG stories for an Instagram extension on your Google Chrome browser.
- Now login to Instagram using your username and password.
- Click on the video that you are interested to see. This will now open a new tab.
- Go to the upper right-hand portion of the screen and click on the ‘Hide comments’ option.
How to hide someone on Instagram
Maybe you are bothered by someone’s posts appearing on your Feed. You can hide that person from your feed. Follow the below steps to do so.
- At the top of your Instagram feed, tap on the profile picture of the person whose posts are bothering you.
- Select Mute and then tap on Mute Story.
- If you mute someone, their stories will now appear at the end of the feed.
- Even if the stories are updated, there would not be a colorful ring around them.
- When you watch the stories, this one will not play on its own.
How to hide a post from someone on Instagram
On the flip side, it is possible that you do not want someone to see your posts. Doing that is simple as you just have to follow the below instructions.
Make your profile private
You could make your profile private and thus stop everyone from seeing your posts.
- Open the Instagram account and then click on the three-line icon you see in the top right corner.
- From the features list, you can type on the ‘settings’ button. You will see a list of options where you can make your account private.
- The option would be mentioned as ‘Private profile,’ and once you click on that, it would ask for a confirmation. On replying in the affirmative, your account will become private.
Restricting a person
Supposing you want to restrict a person as their presence is bothering you. The following steps will help you do so.
- Find the profile of the follower you want to restrict on your Instagram app. You could also check through the desktop website.
- Click on the three dots present near the profile of the person. There will be an option to restrict the person.
- Tap on it and confirm so you can stop the person from seeing your future posts and comments.
How to hide Instagram stories
- Open Instagram from whichever device you are working on.
- Go to your profile and then tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines)
- From the menu, you should click ‘settings.’
- From the drop-down menu first, choose ‘Privacy’ and then click on the story.
- Here you can tap the number of people next to “Hide story from.”
- On the page that you see, choose the people you want to hide the story from.
- After you are finished, click on ‘Done.’
In case you wish to hide your story from a particular location or hashtag, that is also possible. You will see the location or hashtag mentioned on top of the list of who saw your story. Tap on cross sign against any location or hashtag to remove your posts from there.
How to hide pictures on Instagram
Sometimes you want to hide a particular picture or image as you think it does not match what you want to portray. To do the same, the process is listed below.
- Open the Instagram app on the Android phone.
- Go to the photo you wish to hide.
- Right above the photo, you will see three dots or settings.
- On top of that list, you will see the ‘archive’ option. The picture will be visible but to no one else. The original comments remain like that.
If later on you want, you can re-add the photo.
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone
- You will see a clock icon. Tap on it to reveal all the archived images
- Now click on the photo that you wish to get back into your account
- Tap on three dots that you can see over it
- Click on “show on profile.” Now the image will be visible to all the people who can see your Instagram account.
How to hide your Instagram account
We have already mentioned above how to make your profile private. However, people might still get back to you if your profile is linked to other social media accounts. Use the below methods to hide the Instagram account from others.
- Go to Instagram through your Desktop. You cannot change this setting on your mobile app.
- Click on the profile icon and then on the “Edit Profile” button that you see.
- There is a button called “Similar account suggestions.” To avoid being seen by others, you must uncheck that button. Do not forget to click on the blue “submit” button that is under the option.
Again if you want more privacy, you could set your status off. Like before, go to your settings and then proceed on to the “Privacy and Security” options. Tap on the activity status button that you can see there. Toggle off the “Show status button.” If this button is blue, it implies the option is on and if it is grey means that the option is turned off.
People of all categories nowadays use Instagram. While some consider it as a method to portray their creative skills to the world, others use it as a medium to boost their brand recall. Unfortunately, not many people are fully aware of the platform’s benefits. Above, we have mentioned the various tips and tricks to exploit the usage of Instagram fully.
An account’s privacy is of due importance on Instagram, and by using these tips, you can ensure that no untoward person accesses the account. If, at any point, if you feel someone is harassing you, there is the option of blocking the person. The process of doing so is easy; hence you can adopt it each time you are troubled.