Steam is a popular digital distribution platform for video games that offers a vast library of games for users to download and play. While Steam offers many benefits, there are times when users may need to uninstall the platform from their device. In this guide, we will explore the different methods to uninstall Steam from your computer and also how to delete a Steam account.
What is Steam?
Steam is a digital distribution platform for video games developed and operated by Valve Corporation. It was launched in 2003 and has since become the go-to platform for PC gamers. Steam offers a vast library of games for purchase, download, and play. It also offers features such as community forums, social features, and cloud saves for game progress.
How to Uninstall Games on Steam
Uninstalling games on Steam is a straightforward process that can free up space on your computer’s hard drive. Here’s how you can uninstall games on Steam:
- Launch the Steam app on your computer.
- Click on the Library tab.
- Right-click on the game you want to uninstall and select “Delete local content.”
- Confirm the action by clicking “Delete” on the pop-up window.
It’s important to note that uninstalling a game will remove all associated files and progress, so make sure to back up any important data before proceeding.
What usually makes people to uninstall Steam
Steam is a popular gaming platform with millions of active users. However, there are instances where users may want to uninstall Steam from their computer. Here are some of the common reasons why people uninstall Steam:
- Limited storage space: Games can take up a significant amount of storage space on your computer, and as your library grows, you may need to uninstall games or even Steam itself to free up space.
- Performance issues: Some users have reported experiencing performance issues with Steam, such as lag, slow downloads, or crashes. If these issues persist, users may decide to uninstall Steam and try alternative gaming platforms.
- Technical difficulties: Occasionally, users may encounter technical difficulties with Steam, such as problems with updates or account issues. In such cases, reinstalling or uninstalling Steam may be necessary.
- Personal preference: Some users may simply prefer other gaming platforms and choose to uninstall Steam to make room for them.
It’s important to note that uninstalling Steam will remove all associated files, including your game library and progress. If you’re experiencing issues with Steam, try troubleshooting the problem before resorting to uninstalling the platform.
How to delete a Steam account
If you no longer wish to use your Steam account, you can delete it. Keep in mind that once you delete your Steam account, it cannot be recovered. Here’s how you can delete your Steam account:
- Log in to your Steam account on the Steam website.
- Click on your account name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and select “Account details” from the drop-down menu.
- On the Account Details page, click on “Delete my Steam account.”
- Read the information on the next screen carefully, as it explains the consequences of deleting your account.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to confirm that you want to delete your account.
It’s important to note that deleting your Steam account will permanently remove all your game licenses, community profile, and personal data associated with your account. Additionally, any games or in-game items you’ve purchased will no longer be accessible. If you have any concerns or questions, contact Steam support before deleting your account.
How to uninstall Steam on Mac manually
Uninstalling Steam on a Mac is a slightly different process than on a Windows PC. Here’s how you can uninstall Steam on a Mac manually:
- Quit the Steam app if it is currently running.
- Open the Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
- Locate the Steam app in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash icon in the Dock. Alternatively, you can right-click on the Steam app and select “Move to Trash.”
- Enter your Mac’s administrator password if prompted.
- Empty the Trash to permanently delete the Steam app.
It’s important to note that uninstalling Steam on a Mac manually will remove the Steam app and all associated files, but it will not remove your game library or any saved game data. If you want to remove your game library and saved data as well, you’ll need to follow the steps outlined in the “How to Uninstall Games on Steam” section above.
How to uninstall Steam games via the Steam app
If you want to free up space on your hard drive by uninstalling some games from your Steam library, you can easily do so via the Steam app. Here’s how to uninstall Steam games via the Steam app:
- Open the Steam app and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Library” tab at the top of the screen.
- Locate the game you want to uninstall in your library and right-click on it.
- Select “Manage” from the drop-down menu and then click on “Uninstall.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to confirm that you want to uninstall the game.
- Repeat the process for any other games you want to uninstall.
It’s important to note that uninstalling a game will remove all associated files, including saved data and settings. If you plan on reinstalling the game in the future, you may want to back up your saved data before uninstalling it. Additionally, some games may require that you manually delete additional files even after you uninstall them via the Steam app. Be sure to check the game’s documentation or support forums for specific uninstallation instructions.
In conclusion, uninstalling Steam and its associated games can be necessary for various reasons, whether it’s freeing up storage space or simply deciding that the platform is no longer for you. While the process may seem daunting at first, it’s actually quite straightforward, and can be accomplished using a few simple steps.
To uninstall Steam and all of its associated games on your computer, you can follow the steps outlined in this article. Additionally, if you’re looking to remove your Steam account entirely, there are specific steps you can follow to do so. It’s always a good idea to double-check any game-specific instructions for uninstallation, as some games may require additional steps to completely remove all associated files.
Ultimately, whether you’re uninstalling Steam or just a few games, the process should be relatively painless. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can free up space on your hard drive and remove any games or accounts that are no longer needed.