In today’s multitasking world, it’s essential to have the ability to view more than one application window simultaneously. And when it comes to using a Chromebook, the feature that allows you to do this is called split screen. Whether you’re comparing documents, referencing research, or just want to watch a video while working on a project, learning how to split screen on a Chromebook can be incredibly beneficial. In this guide, we will explore how to do split screen on a Chromebook, the keyboard shortcuts that can help you, and the benefits of having multiple windows open.
Table of Contents
How to do Split Screen on Chromebook
One of the first steps in learning how to split screen on a Chromebook is understanding the basic mechanism to achieve it. The steps are relatively straightforward:
- Open the two applications or windows you want to view side by side.
- Click and hold the title bar of one window.
- Drag it to the left or right side of the screen until you see a highlighted area.
- Release the window, and it will automatically fit into the highlighted area.
- Repeat the process with the second window on the opposite side of the screen.
This process will evenly divide your screen between the two windows. Now, you’ve learned how to split screen on a Chromebook!
How to Activate a Split Screen with the Maximize/Restore Button on a Chromebook
In addition to dragging windows, you can also use the Maximize/Restore button to create a split screen on a Chromebook. This method can be a bit quicker and more precise. Here’s how to split screen on a Chromebook using the Maximize/Restore button:
- Open the windows or applications you wish to split screen.
- Hover your mouse over the Maximize/Restore button in the top-right corner of a window. You’ll see two arrows pointing to the left and right.
- Click one of the arrows, and that window will snap to that side of the screen.
- Repeat the process with the other window, clicking the arrow pointing in the opposite direction.
This method is excellent for quickly establishing a split screen, especially if you’re dealing with full-screen windows.
How to Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Enable the Split Screen
Keyboard shortcuts are another efficient way of establishing a split screen on a Chromebook. If you’re a fan of quick commands, this method is for you. Here’s how to split screen on a Chromebook using keyboard shortcuts:
- Press and hold the ‘Alt’ key.
- While holding ‘Alt’, press the ‘[‘ key to snap the active window to the left half of the screen or the ‘]’ key to snap it to the right half.
- Repeat the process with the other window, using the opposite keyboard shortcut.
This method can be a real time-saver, especially if you’re frequently switching between windows or need to establish a split screen quickly.
How to Split Screen in Overview Mode
You can also split your screen in overview mode, providing a convenient way to select windows when you have multiple open. Here’s how to split screen on a Chromebook in overview mode:
- Press the ‘Overview’ key or swipe down from the top with three fingers on your touchpad. This will show all your open windows in a tiled view.
- Drag a window from the overview to the left or right side of the screen.
- Pick a second window from the overview and drag it to the opposite side of the screen.
This method is especially useful if you’re not sure which windows you want to view side by side, as you can see all your options in the overview.
The Benefits of Having Multiple Windows Open
Now that we’ve covered how to split screen on a Chromebook, let’s look at why you might want to do this in the first place. Having multiple windows open side by-side can:
- Increase productivity: You can work on one task while monitoring another, reducing the need to switch between windows continually.
- Enhance multitasking: If you’re working on a complex task that requires reference material or parallel processing, having two windows open simultaneously can be a boon.
- Improve organization: Splitting your screen can help keep your workspace organized by separating tasks into different windows.
In conclusion, learning how to split screen on a Chromebook can enhance your productivity and make multitasking a breeze. Whether you prefer dragging windows, using the Maximize/Restore button, employing keyboard shortcuts, or leveraging the overview mode, mastering the art of the split screen will definitely make your Chromebook experience more fluid and efficient.