Here in this post we will tell you how to install Windows 8 on external hard drive partition. Complete procedure is explained below:
Before proceeding to know how to install Windows 8 on external hard drive, it is better to understand what an external hard disk is and why to create partitions on it.
An external hard drive is a data storage device similar to the internal hard drive but it can be attached or detached through USB port. It can retain the data stored even though the power is off. External hard drive can be partitioned like how an internal one is being done. Partition helps in organizing the files and retrieval of the same would be easy.
The partition of HDD can be easily done by following the simple steps:
- Open the disk management on the computer and click on the label “create and format hard disk partitions”.
- Select the drive from the list and right click on it.
- Select the “shrink the volume” option and enter the amount of space to shrink.
- After choosing shrink option of the window, it will cut away that space from external drive’s main segment and creates the partition.
- Now, right click on the empty partition and select new simple volume from the menu and follow the wizard to format it.
That’s it. A new partition is created.
About Windows 8
Windows 8 is the new OS from Microsoft. Windows 8 offers significant changes to the platform like improving its user experience. It includes the emerging technologies like USB 3.0, cloud computing etc. Microsoft announced that it has made over 10,000 changes in the Windows 8 platform.
Installing Windows 8 on external hard drive
If you are using other version of Windows OS your PC or laptop but wish to try out new Window 8, you can do it by installing Window 8 on the external hard drive. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Create Virtual Hard Disk on the external disk drive. To do this, connect the external storage device to the system. Open the Disk Management and select your hard disk (check for the name that you gave to the external storage). Right click on the name and select “Create VH”. Set the disk size in MBs. If you are having multiple partitions on the external device, select on which partition VHD needs to be created. Now your VHD is ready.
- Initialize the VHD by right clicking on the VHD’s name and select the option “Initialize Disk”. Note that you can see the VHD in the Disk Manager only after initializing it.
- Now create a new “Simple Volume” partition within the VHD. To do this, right click on the VHD and select “New Simple Volume” option.
- With the above steps done, you are ready to install Windows 8.
- Download software called PWboot from internet. This small program helps in easy installation of Windows 8.
- When you run PWboot you would see an on-screen option called “Install Windows”. Select this and press “Next.”
- It would seek for the install.wim file which can be found on the Windows 8 installation CD.
- On the same screen you need to check the box called “Enable boot from USB interface capability” and click on “Next.”
- You would be taken to a new screen where System boot configuration need to be set.
- Select the System boot volume and check the box “Add boot entry to BCD Store” and click “Install” button.
- PWBoot would start the installation of Windows 8 now.
- Now check the System Configuration section and it should be showing Windows 8 as the default OS for the external hard drive’s partition that you have opted for installation of Windows 8.
- Now restart your system and enter the product key when asked for.
Your external hard drive is now partitioned and installed with Windows 8 as default OS. Go ahead and enjoy the new OS and do your favorite settings.