Hello everyone, ever wondered how to delete an unused Pinterest account? If so, you’ve come to the right place! While it might feel like an overwhelming task, deleting a Pinterest account is actually quite simple. In my blog post, I’ll walk you through the steps so you can take away all the extra clutter in your online world. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Are you looking to free up some space on your social media accounts? Perhaps you’ve decided it’s time to say goodbye to Pinterest and delete your account. Whether you’re a casual user or one of the hundreds of millions who have an account with the website, deleting it can be done quickly with just a few steps. This guide outlines what steps are necessary for permanently erasing your Pinterest profile, no matter if you are on desktop or the mobile app. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to effectively delete your Pinterest account.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is an online platform that allows users to create and manage visual collections—known as “boards”—of images and videos, which are organized around various topics, ideas and themes. The website’s primary focus is allowing users to upload (“pin”) images and videos to boards, with each board dedicated to a different theme or topic. The platform also offers features that allow users to follow other boards, creating a personalized home feed of the boards they are interested in. Additionally, the website offers search options so users can discover content from other people’s boards that is related to their interests.
Reasons to Delete a Pinterest Account
There are many reasons why you might decide to delete your Pinterest account. You may want to replace it with a new one, close it due to privacy concerns, or simply no longer need the account.
Before deleting your Pinterest account, consider whether you could simply deactivating the account instead. This will allow you to keep all of your pins, boards and followers intact while keeping your profile hidden from other users. Deactivating allows you to easily reactivate when needed without having to start over.
However, if you do decide that deleting is the right step for you, here are some potential reasons why:
- Privacy concerns – if you no longer feel confident with the security of your Pinterest data, you can delete it from the platform and remove any posts or information associated with them.
- You have too many accounts – if have multiple accounts that overlap in content or followers this can be confusing for other users. Deleting one will allow for better organization and tidier profile presentation.
- Account Problems – If there are technical issues with your Pinterest account such as deleted pins or incorrect information then disabling and deleting may be necessary in order to resolve them
How to Delete a Pinterest Account
Deleting a Pinterest account permanently deletes the user’s profile, boards, pins and activity from Pinterest. Once you elect to delete your account, it cannot be recovered. Before deleting your account, however, please be aware that any third-party services connected to that account may still retain personal information about you.
There are two ways to delete a Pinterest account:
Direct Deletion – Using this method, you can use the Delete Account functionality on the Pinterest website. To do this:
- Log in to your Pinterest account and go to Settings (the gear icon).
- In the Account Settings page, select “Delete Account” at the bottom of the page.
- Carefully read through all terms and conditions before deciding whether or not to continue with deletion.
- Type DELETE in all caps when prompted. You will no longer be able to regain access to your Pinterest profile once deleted using this method.
Two Step Verification – If you want to retain some control over what happens with data on your deleted account or who is notified upon deletion you can use two step verification process on the Pinterest platform called Deactivation Request Process which lets users partially control their profile data before deletion :
- Log into yourPinterest Account, select Settings icon and “Deactivate Request” .
- Create a Deactivation Request by providing an email address for notifications and responding yes/no questions related to data retention after removal of profile from public visibility .
Once completed submit & Confirm your request . Feel free and relieved once successful confirmation message appears & removal of profile from public visibility takes place within 48 hours .
How to Permanently Delete a Pinterest Account
Permanently deleting a Pinterest account is permanent, meaning that all of your boards, pins, followers and any other data associated with it is gone forever. If you’re sure you don’t want to keep your account, here’s how to delete it:
- Go to Pinterest.com and log in to the account you want to delete.
- Click on the three dots icon in the top right corner of the page, then select Settings.
- Scroll down and select Delete Account at the bottom of the page.
- Click on Permanently delete my account and confirm by entering your password when prompted.
- Once you have confirmed that you actually want to proceed with deleting your account, it will be deleted from Pinterest completely, along with all its associated boards, pins and data.
Note: Remember that once deleted, everything associated with this account will be gone permanently from Pinterest so make sure it’s what you really want before proceeding!
How to Deactivate a Pinterest Account
Deactivating a Pinterest account may be necessary if you want to take a break from the platform, or if you need to free up resources on your device. In most cases, you can reactivate your account later. Following this guide will outline the steps you need to take before deactivating or deleting your Pinterest account.
- Log into your Pinterest account and go to “Settings” on the top right corner of the page.
- Under ‘Account Settings’ select ‘Edit’ next to your name.
- Select ‘Deactivate Account’ at the bottom of the page, and click on ‘Continue’ when prompted for deactivation confirmation.
- You will be presented with 3 choices: deactivate, delete or transfer ownership of your pins and boards to another user. Select either “Deactivate Account” or “Delete Account” depending on whether you plan to come back in future or not and click “Continue”
- A window will open that asks why you are resigning from Pinterest; select from one of the options then click on ‘Deactivate’ button again for final confirmation that creates a pop-up confirming deactivation has been successful with an option for reactivating in future (if required).
- Your current profile will no longer be visible after deactivation and it takes 24 hours for content to be completely removed
What Happens When You Delete a Pinterest Account
When you delete a Pinterest account, it goes into an inactive state. This means your Pinterest page will no longer be visible to other users or search engines and all of your pins, boards and other data associated with your account will be immediately inaccessible. However, if you change your mind and decide to re-activate your account in the future, all of the boards, pins and other data you previously uploaded will still remain intact.
Deleting a Pinterest account is permanent and cannot be reversed once it has been completed. Keep in mind that if you have contributed content, such as images and text, to another user’s board or profile then those items may still appear on those pages after you delete your own account.
If you are sure that you want to delete the Pinterest account associated with yours forever then there are a few steps that need to be taken in order for this process to happen:
- Log into the platform using the username associated with the deleted account
- Go to Settings > Profile & Account > Delete Account
- Confirm that you Would like to Permanently Delete Your Account by checking off a box
- Press Delete Account & follow any additional onscreen instructions
- Receive confirmation once processing is completed
Once you have deactivated your account, it will remain inactive until you decide to reactivate it at a later date. Any pins, boards, and/or people you have followed will be removed from your account as well. However, any comments that you may have left on other’s pins will remain intact but will now be displayed under an anonymous name. You can reactivate your account by simply signing back in or clicking on a link sent to the email address associated with the account.
It is important to note that Pinterest does not allow for permanent deletion of an account due to internal records retention requirements. However, data associated with an inactive profile is inaccessible for up to 10 years after deactivation, unless otherwise required by law or court order.