Ensuring the security of large organizations is a complex task that requires special attention. Innostage has many years of experience in building management systems, accumulation, and operational data processing. The difference in the protection of systems in the branches of one company allows cybercriminals to attack through the most vulnerable places. The solution to the problem is the use of various systems for collecting, monitoring, and processing data, in particular, managed SIEM services, UEBA, IRP, and others. Learn more about these solutions in this article.
Benefits of Implementing Modern Cybersecurity Solutions
Information security implies the security of the entire information environment. This means that not only the data itself should be protected but also their carriers, as well as the entire infrastructure. Therefore, information security solutions should cover not only technical but also administrative, and legal aspects, as well as user behavior in order to prevent leaks and disclosure of trade secrets. Let’s look at the most popular tools. Each individual system can be part of the SOC (Security Operations Center), or be a separate independent link in the enterprise cybersecurity system.
This solution allows you to perform a number of useful tasks. This is a great way to consolidate data as well as keep track of information security events from various sources.
In addition, SIEM allows you to:
- store events from different sources for further study and detection of actions that lead to incidents.
- opportunities for expert analysis of incidents, analysis by multiple parameters, formation of links between incidents.
- automated sending of messages to the administrator.
Among the advantages of using SIEM:
- Centralization of operational management.
- Prioritize information security incidents according to the importance of the asset, and as a result, respond only to really important incidents.
- Control of the configuration of information resources and the state of their security.
- Rapid response to information security incidents.
- Control of provision and management of information security.
- The ability to assess the state of information security at a given point in time.
This tool is focused on the automatic detection of a wide range of internal and external threats, most of which are not detected by classical IS tools. It also performs the following tasks:
- Detection of violations by employees: data leakage, abuse of granted access, etc.
- Reducing the number of false positives (false positives) through the use of ML technologies.
- Detection of anomalous activities in user accounts.
- More efficient response to events by providing information security administrators with extended information about the incident, including all objects that were involved in anomalous activity
Among the benefits of using UEBA:
- Expanding the visibility of the actual behavior of employees when working with information systems, filtered by risky behavior patterns, understanding the intentions of employees in order to prevent security breaches.
- Clearing the flow of events of existing information security systems (including managed SIEM services, DLP) from the “background” array.
- Reducing the burden on analysts.
- A deeper understanding of what users are doing on the system.
Threat Intelligence Platform
The threat intelligence platform tool is used to collect, normalize and enrich millions of IOCs from a large number of cyber intelligence data sources, as well as for such tasks:
- Automatic importance scoring and IOC prioritization.
- Extend the IOC to protections to proactively monitor and block new threats.
Among the advantages of a Threat intelligence platform:
- Expanding the capabilities of SIEM and other security tools to identify and block information security threats.
- Improving the efficiency of analysts in investigating incidents, preparing and distributing analytics and reports on cyber intelligence.
- Early notification of targeted attacks and virus activity.
- Automation of the exchange of indicators allows various structural units to quickly respond to new threats.
- The ability to detect hidden attacks.
These tools are used to automate key information security incident management processes, including the process of monitoring, managing, and responding to information security incidents. They are also used to solve such problems:
- Optimize the response process by integrating with products that use different security technologies.
- Inventory of IT assets.
- Monitoring and provision of operational information for response and investigation of information security incidents.
- Threat analysis and vulnerability management.
- Organization of joint work of specialists from information security, IT, and other departments.
- Formation of analytical and reporting information about the state of information security.
Among the benefits of IRP/SOAR:
- High response speed due to pre-described investigation steps (Playbook) of identified incidents and response to them using orchestration.
- Reducing the workload on SOC analysts and preventing burnout.
- Reducing the likelihood of errors in the manual processing of incidents.
- The impossibility of skipping and ignoring registered incidents.
- Better and more complete processing of incidents through the use of a large number of information protection tools in automatic mode,
- Rapid training and adaptation of new employees.
- Ensuring that knowledge, best practices, and incident response processes are documented.
- Visualization of key performance indicators.
This solution is used for long-term data storage for SIEM systems, as well as for analyzing stored data using mathematical models. In addition, the solution allows you to perform the following tasks:
- Implementation of functions for working with historical events over long periods of time.
- Enrichment of existing events with data from other subsystems.
- Identification of complex attack vectors on the network infrastructure.
Benefits of Security DataLake:
- Providing convenient tools for information security analytics that can work with large amounts of data, including the ability to use machine learning models.
- Possibility of almost unlimited horizontal scaling.
- Expansion of the functionality of SIEM systems by including event data that are not included in the SIEM perimeter in the pipeline.
- Overcoming the limitations of SIEM systems related to their bandwidth. Security DataLake removes restrictions on the amount of data collected and the speed of access to them. And this, in turn, will allow you to see the full picture and increase the likelihood of identifying threats.
- The possibility of involving in the work data that previously remained outside the boundaries of the analyzed events;
- Application of the BigData technology stack in the company with the possibility of expanding its capabilities to the systems available in the company.
The use of modern solutions for cybersecurity allows you to reduce labor costs and costs for integrated information security monitoring. This is a great way to take proactive security measures throughout your organization if an attack is detected in one of the branches. We recommend contacting UnderDefense, which provides quality managed SIEM services.